What You Will Study-Curriculum
The curriculum will include the required pre-med courses such as Biology, Ethics, Organic and Biological Chemistry, Physics, Statistics and Calculus. In addition, there will be offerings in: Human Anatomy and Physiology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Human Genetics, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Allergy and Immunity, as well as Select Topics in Pathophysiology, Research Methods, Environmental Burden in Neurodevelopment, Pharmacology in Health and Disease, and Healthcare Policy and Governance. Another unique aspect of the curriculum is the opportunity for an internship in hospitals, healthcare industry or in pharmaceutical companies. The culmination of the program is a capstone (thesis) project in which you will conduct independent research that may lead to a scientific publication. The program requires a total of 121 credits. Generally, students begin their studies by enrolling in Liberal Education courses as well as a few major courses. They must complete 44 credits in liberal education core/electives, 70 credits in the concentration core, and an additional 7 credits from any academic area as elective courses.
Why Study Biomedical Sciences at Deree
- Gain knowledge and skills that are applicable to a wide variety of careers in the field of Biomedical Sciences and related areas, and receive sound preparation for US medical schools and graduate studies.
- Benefit from Deree’s innovative science and computer labs and facilities which offer you the opportunity to master your skills on the most used platforms and programs.
- Develop a professional network utilizing Deree’s strong ties with leading pharmaceutical companies and the healthcare industry.
- Experience a student-centered approach to teaching and learning, and take advantage of internships related to Biomedical Sciences, including study abroad and international internship opportunities.
- Study exclusively in English, among students from 70 countries and truly prepare for the international job market.
- Study on a 64-acre campus bursting with activities, student life, and opportunities to develop your interests.
The Main Advantages of the Biomedical Sciences Program
- It leads to the awarding of two degrees:
– a US degree based on the College’s NECHE (New England Commission of Higher Education) accreditation, and
– a UK degree awarded by The Open University (OU) based on the College’s validation partnership with OU.
- It fully prepares students to enter US medical schools and graduate programs in health-related fields.
- It introduces students to medical school courses beyond the pre-med requirements.
- It prepares graduates to work in the pharmaceutical industry, in biomedical research, in diagnostic services, and in the design and execution of clinical trials.
- It offers opportunities for practical and professional experience through research and internships
- It offers a flexible program of study on different aspects of biomedical sciences.
- It allows students to personalize their studies and follow different career pathways in combination with minors such as Healthcare Management, Environmental Studies, Psychology, Communication and Information Technology.
- It offers students the unique opportunity to be mentored by high-caliber academics and professionals in the fields of biomedical and health sciences.
- It provides a student-centered learning environment that promotes academic and personal development, broadens horizons, and builds confidence to become independent learners.
- It collaborates with the Institute of Public Health and the Center of Excellence in Sustainability (Office of Public Affairs), as well as the ACG Health and Wellness Center (Student Affairs Office).
- It exposes students to a unique campus environment and to state-of-the art facilities like the three major laboratories (the Biology lab, the Chemistry & Cell and Molecular Biology lab and the Physical Sciences lab) which were entirely renovated including the new multipurpose STEM lab.
Graduates in BMS develop good interpersonal skills, in addition to ensuring valuable transferable skills that include the ability to make informed judgements, work in teams, manage time, solve problems, improve critical thinking, but also invest on analytical, numerical and communication skills together with proficiency in ICTs.
Career Opportunities (Both in Greece and Abroad)
Graduates in BMS are well placed to enter a variety of jobs in both the scientific and health science sectors. Potential employers include biomedical academic institutions and hospitals, the pharmaceutical industry, as well as healthcare related positions.
*Note: Further studies are required or may be required for some of the opportunities listed below
- Analysis and diagnostics*
- Biomedical research and investigation*
- Biomedical reporting
- Design and execution of clinical trials*
- Cosmetic industry*
- Diagnostic services*
- Environmental health
- Health advising
- Health policy
- Health and healthcare related professions
- Health and safety
- Health bioinformatics/ health informatics*
- Health education*
- Health prevention and promotion specialist
- Lab technician
- Leadership, managerial or professional roles
- Medical assistants
- Medical sales representatives
- Medical tourism
- Medicine postgraduate research training*
- Public & private research*
- Science communication
- Science teaching
- Veterinary Medicine*
Places of Work
In addition to the career opportunities listed above, graduates could work in many other different settings.
Where to Work (Both in Greece and Abroad)
Clinics, Schools, Health charities & foundations, Hospitals ,International health organizations, Laboratories, Medical offices, Pharmaceutical industry, Private sector, Public sector, Scientific magazines, Journals, Universities (In Greece only in private Institutions).
Note: Please in addition to contacting the Head of the Program you are advised to contact the Public Affairs office for further information on Professional Rights in Greece, the Career’s Office for Medicine and Graduate Studies and Career Opportunities, the Advising Office and the Admissions’ Office.
Working Group for the Development of the Biomedical Sciences Program
Dr. Theoharis Theoharides | Director of Health Science Programs and Research
BA, Biology & History of Medicine, Yale University;
MS, Endocrinology, Yale University;
MPhil, Immunology, Yale University;
PhD, Pharmacology, Yale University;
MD, Yale University
Dr. Theoharides is the Director of Health Science Programs and Research (part-time). He is Professor of Pharmacology & Internal Medicine, and Director of Molecular Immunopharmacology and Drug Discovery, Department of Immunology, Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston), which awarded him the Excellence in Teaching ten times, the Distinguished Faculty Recognition Award twice, and the Alumni Award for Faculty Excellence. He received all his degrees (BA, MS, MPhil, PhD, MD) from Yale University, and was awarded the Dean’s Research Award and the Winternitz Price in Pathology. He trained in internal medicine at New England Medical Center, which awarded him the Oliver Smith Award “recognizing excellence, compassion and service.” He received a Certificate in Global Leadership from Tufts Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy and a Fellowship at Harvard Kennedy School of Government. He has been studying the role of environmental and stress triggers on allergic and inflammatory processes. He has published 425 scientific papers (32,056 citations, h-factor 87) and 3 textbooks. He is a member of the Massachusetts Drug Formulary Commission, and of the International Advisory Committee, University of Cyprus School of Medicine. He was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society and the Rare Diseases Hall of Fame. He was awarded Boston Mayor’s Community Award, the Dr. Papanicolau Award, an Honorary Doctor of Medicine (Athens University) and an Honorary Doctor of Sciences (Hellenic-American University), as well as the 2018 Who is Who Lifetime Achievement Award and the Distinguished Humanitarian Award. He is an “Archon” of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
Dr. Paraskevi Papadopoulou (Head, Department Science and Mathematics & Biomedical Sciences Program)
Coordinator of the BMS Program Proposal Project
Biomedical Sciences Program Coordinator, (January- August 2020)
Natural Sciences Area Coordinator, (September 2017-August 2020)
Professor: Cell Biology, Biophysics
Dr. Anastasia Misseyanni (September 2014-August 2020)
Head, Department of Science and Mathematics (September 2014-August 2020)
Environmental Studies Program Coordinator (September 2011-August 2020)
Professor: Chemistry, Environmental Studies
Dr. Michael Valahas
Ex-Director, Center of Excellence for Sustainability
Assistant Professor (Tier Faculty): Biochemistry, Molecular Virology
Dr. Demetrios Vassilakos
Part-time Instructor: Molecular Biology