BA (Hons) in International Relations and European Affairs
Validated by The Open University, UK
Introduction to the Major in International Relations and European Affairs
The International Relations and European Affairs (IREA) program is a new program to be offered by the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences of Deree – The American College of Greece, under the Department of History, Philosophy and the Ancient World, as of September 2018. It prepares students to:
- Demonstrate a competent understanding of major theoretical approaches in the domain of International Relations and European Affairs and related fields.
- Develop analytical skills and practice coherent argumentation.
- Identify key issues and problems in International Relations and European Affairs, formulate and elaborate solutions.
- Understand the rationale and dynamics behind the interconnected social, political and economic transformations that re-define the world as we knew it.
- Enter postgraduate studies.
- Provide students with a multidimensional and an “examined” approach to international relations as global citizens and professionals.
What You Will Study
The International Relations and European Affairs program allows students to acquire knowledge and understanding of both theory and practice at four levels.
At the first two levels, students complete modules which:
- A) provide a general foundation in International Relations, the way the international system works and how European Affairs are integrated into it.
- B) provide knowledge of the historical background and the political imperatives of International Relations and European Affairs.
- C) develop an understanding of how political behaviour operates and influences political life and institutions.
At the second level, students proceed with the development of a closer understanding and in-depth analysis of theories of International Relations and foreign policy. At this level, they are also acquainted with the tools and techniques required to conduct research in the field of International Relations. Students also familiarize with ethical theories as tools for decision-making and develop a broader moral outlook in order to identify the ethical dimensions of contemporary global issues, so essential for their personal and professional lives. Moreover, they acquire understanding of how political thought and authority has evolved, as well as engage with discussion of issues – such as social justice, political liberalism, and individual liberty. Furthermore, students expand their general understanding of International Relations from historical, socio-cultural, political and economic perspectives.
At the fourth level, students deepen their understanding of their specialization in the fields of International Relations and European Affairs and they gain awareness of the various theories and their implementation to actual policy-actions, debates and challenges, with emphasis on the European security architecture and its evolution. At this Level, students are given the opportunity to critically examine and synthesize the theoretical approaches to International Relations and European Affairs, as well as to apply their acquired research methods in exploring and resolving a given problem in the above fields.
Moreover, students are also exposed to the benefits of the Internship in International Relations, which provides them with the opportunity to gain working experience and professional practice through the work-based learning internship placement, which takes place in an international organization. Students are also expected to manage a complex body of information, apply theories to particular problems and use libraries and online resources effectively.
Career/Graduate Study Opportunities
The International Relations and European Affairs program prepares students to undertake postgraduate studies in a variety of fields including: International Political Economy, International Relations, Politics and International Studies. They can also pursue a career in diplomacy, the “broader” public sector, the private sector, research institutes, think tanks, NGOs, international organizations, and diverse industries, including: consultancies, analysis, banking sector, insurance industry, journalism and MNEs. Moreover, the program enables them to pursue a law degree in the United States, or to follow careers in domestic and international politics. It also offers a robust educational background that is particularly relevant in departments dealing with strategic planning and risk analysis.