HERITAGE GREECE 2024
A Lifechanging Odyssey of Connections in Greece
What to Expect:
- Experience Hellenic heritage, traditions, & culture with what will become lifelong friends
- A transferrable one-credit language & culture course
- Visit Greece’s treasure trove of archeological and historical sites and learn from the experts
- Explore, connect with, and enjoy Greece
- Spacious and fully modern on-campus accommodations
- Tuition, accommodations, meals, transportation & learning materials borne by NHS
Program Session Dates
Heritage Greece 2024 will be hosted in two sessions (in June & July 2024). (Applicants select the session they are applying for on our Online Application).
Session A: June 8-23, 2024
Session B: July 6-21, 2024
Heritage Greece participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements to/from Athens, Greece. The American College of Greece (ACG) will facilitate introductions to fellow students to help them coordinate travel arrangements.
Early-bird application deadline: January 31, 2024
Regular admissions deadline: March 1, 2024
The Heritage Greece Program is an unforgettable educational and cultural immersion experience for North American students of Hellenic heritage, shared with students from The American College of Greece (ACG) in Athens. Heritage Greece connects Greek American and Greek Canadian college-age students to their Hellenic roots by allowing them to spend two intensive weeks exploring Greece in all its facets.
Heritage Greece is a proprietary program developed by the National Hellenic Society (NHS) as part of its mission to celebrate, preserve and disseminate Hellenic heritage in the United States. In 2019, the Hellenic Heritage Foundation (HHF) of Canada sponsored the first complement of Greek Canadian student participants.
Heritage Greece is a gift from the NHS to American students of Hellenic descent, comprising tailor-made educational and cultural activities that make for an impactful, immersive experience. The itinerary includes an insider’s perspective of some of the classical world’s leading museums and archeological and historical sites. The cultural component includes a broad array of activities ranging from Greek language classes to dance, cooking and experiential learning in the field. The Heritage Greece experience is shared with a peer group of ACG students. Together the students explore Hellenic heritage, culture and their roots while developing long-lasting bonds with one another. Alumni of the program have described Heritage Greece as a life-changing experience.
The Heritage Greece experience continues long after the return from Greece. Heritage Greece participants become part of the Heritage Greece Alumni Network. The NHS provides career advancement guidance, mentorship and the opportunity to stay engaged in NHS programs, events and be part of the NHS network.
The Heritage Greece Program is designed to keep Hellenic heritage and Greek identity vibrant, relevant and inclusive.
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- 18-26 years old and enrolled as an undergraduate/graduate student with a 3.0+ GPA
- A US/Canadian citizen of Hellenic descent*
- Preferably (not mandatory) visiting Greece for the first time
* Hellenic descent is defined as having one or more parents, grandparents, or great grandparents born in Greece or Cyprus.
Please note that siblings or first cousins of past and/or current participants, who meet the program’s eligibility criteria, may be considered but they must reimburse NHS for all expenses related to participation in the Heritage Greece Program.
** Additional criteria may be added in case of pandemic-related changes imposed by the Greek or US governments or the European Union at the time of the program.
To be considered for admission, you must complete our Online Application Form, provide the supplementary documents listed below. You are kindly requested to scan and send items 3-6 to [email protected] in one e-mail by latest March 1st, 2023. Please include your first and last name in the subject line.
Application Checklist and Required Forms
- Application Form Completed Online
- Forward a recommendation letter from a professor, community leader, religious leader, or another individual that knows you well to [email protected]
- Official University Transcript OR Student-Issued Transcript
- Complete and Sign the Insurance Waiver Form and the Heritage Greece Medical Form
- Provide/obtain a valid US/Canadian passport. Please note that your passport must be valid for 6 months after your departure from Greece (the airline will not allow you to board if the Passport expires within six months following the respective return date home)
- Please provide a copy of your driver’s license or government-issued identification card.
ACG’s Admissions Committee reserves the right to contact you for an interview.