Heritage Greece® 2020 Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Global Emergency
Given the exigent circumstances brought by the global spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the resulting COVID-19 disease, the National Hellenic Society (NHS), in consultation with The American College of Greece (ACG), has decided to postpone both sessions of the 2020 Heritage Greece® Program until next year. In taking this action, we join a host of U.S. colleges and universities that have cancelled study abroad programs due to this public health emergency. The intention is to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the student participants in the Heritage Greece Program – our number one priority.
As an ameliorative gesture, the NHS and ACG will extend the following:
- All students already admitted during the Early Bird admission stage of the Heritage Greece® 2020 Program will be eligible and automatically admitted to the Heritage Greece® 2021 Program. To that end, NHS will waive the criterion that students must be enrolled in an academic program at the time of admittance in order to qualify.
- All other Heritage Greece® 2020 candidates meeting the application deadline date (03/18/2020) will be considered for the Heritage Greece® 2021 Program and need not reapply in 2021.
- All Heritage Greece® 2020 applicants will be invited to participate in a Heritage Greece® Leadership Summit & Reunion in the U.S. at a future time and venue.
The American College of Greece and all academic institutions in Greece will remain closed at least until March 26, 2020 by order of the Hellenic Ministry of Health.
If you have or will receive an email notifying you of the cancellation of this year’s program, then your application for the Heritage Greece® Program will be deemed to have been received on a timely basis. You will have ample time to provide the additional supporting documentation in consideration for next year’s Heritage Greece® 2021.
We join our voice with that of the experts and call on everyone to safeguard your own and your community’s health and wellbeing during this emergency.
The Heritage Greece® Program is an unforgettable educational and cultural immersion experience for North American students of Hellenic heritage, shared with students from the American College of Greece in Athens. Heritage Greece® connects Greek American and Greek Canadian College & University-age students to their Hellenic roots by allowing them to spend two intense weeks exploring Greece in all its facets.
Heritage Greece® was developed by the National Hellenic Society (NHS) as part of its mission to celebrate, preserve and disseminate Hellenic heritage in the United States. In 2019 the Hellenic Heritage Foundation (HHF) of Canada joined the effort and sponsored the first Greek Canadian student participants.
Heritage Greece® is a gift from the NHS to American students of Hellenic descent, comprising of tailor-made educational and cultural activities that make for an impactful immersion experience. The itinerary includes an insider’s perspective of some the world’s most important museums, as well as archeological and historical sites. The cultural component includes a broad array of activities from a Greek language class to dance and cooking classes with experiential learning activities throughout Athens. The experience is shared with a peer group of ACG students who participate actively in what Heritage Greece® alumni have described as a life-changing experience.
The Heritage Greece® experience continues beyond the visit to Greece, as the participants then matriculate in the Heritage Greece® Alumni Network. The NHS continues its commitment to play a role in helping Heritage Greece® participants advance and develop in their careers, and as ambassadors of Hellenic heritage and part of the NHS’ extended family.
- be currently enrolled as undergraduate or graduate students
- be Americans or Canadians of Greek descent*
- be 18-26 years of age
- never or seldom have been to Greece in the past
- have GPA of 3.0 or above
* Greek descent is defined as having one or more parents, grandparents, or great grandparents born in Greece or Cyprus. Please note that siblings or first cousins of past and/or current participants, who meet the program’s eligibility criteria, may participate in Heritage Greece® 2020 on the condition that they reimburse NHS for all expenses related to their participation.
The Heritage Greece® Program is the National Hellenic Society’s and the Hellenic Heritage Foundation’s contribution to keeping Greek heritage and identity vibrant and relevant in North America.
The Heritage Internship Program, launched for the first time in 2019, offers to selected Heritage Greece® participants an opportunity to immerse themselves in the professional environment of Greece. Selected interns will remain in Greece for up-to an additional two weeks and they will be placed for an internship in a Greek company), along with a selected ACG Peer. Organizations that have participated previously include the Benaki Museum, Kathimerini, the Hope Genesis Foundation, and The Athens Partnership. These participants receive a full scholarship for their accommodation for the duration of their internship in Greece.
Check out the student blog from Heritage Greece® from 2013 to 2019. Experience the program from the perspective of Heritage Greece® students.