David G. Horner, PhD, assumed the presidency of The American College of Greece on July 1, 2008. Between 2008 and the present – a general period of Greek economic decline – ACG has grown quantitatively and qualitatively, and the College’s social impact has been enhanced significantly:
- 35% increase in total enrollment: 4,086 – 5,515
- 500% increase in ACG student financial aid
- Developed “in-bound” and “out-bound” study abroad serving over 900 students annually
- Expanded “Parallel Study”, enrolling over 900 Greek public university students annually
- Initiated Institute of Public Health, sponsored by the Behrakis Foundation, educating over 9,000 Greek elementary students annually on dangers of tobacco consumption
- Initiated Deree Sports Academy, serving over 1,300 children and teens annually
- Initiated “Heritage Greece” with National Hellenic Society: an immersion experience for 70 Greek American university students
ACG 150 | Advancing the Legacy, Growing Greece, A plan to leverage education for economic and social impact,will build on this momentum and guide the College’s operations thru 2025, its 150th anniversary.
Previously, Dr. Horner served as president of North Park University (Chicago) from 1987-2004 and Barrington College, his undergraduate alma mater, from 1979-1985. At the time of his Barrington appointment, he was the youngest (age 29) college or university president in the U.S. During his North Park presidency, enrollment tripled, numerous undergraduate and graduate programs were initiated, several major capital projects were completed, and the endowment grew six-fold.
President Horner received a bachelor’s degree (philosophy), summa cum laude, from Barrington College, a MA (philosophy) from the University of Rhode Island, and a MBA and a PhD in higher education administration and policy analysis from Stanford University.
He is married to S. Sue Horner, BA (Barrington College), MLS (San Jose State University), MTS (Harvard University), PhD (Northwestern University). Together they have two grown children, Marc and Shanna, and four grandchildren.