The operational side of sustainability is fundamental to achieving sustainability excellence. ACG is committed to reduce resource usage and improve understanding on consumption patterns in relation to efficiency measures. The main operational objective is to minimize ACG’s environmental and carbon footprints concurrently with significant reduction of energy consumption.
Sustainability Goals 2025
Looking to the immediate future, The American College of Greece aims at eliminating its carbon footprint and further improving its energy efficiency through projects that have already been set in motion as well as spearheading new ones. Our key goals for 2025 are the following:
- All ACG building to reach Energy Efficiency A by 2025.
- Renewal of cooling / heating system with energy efficient solutions by 2025.
- Improvement of the efficiency of the heating / cooling equipment by upgrading the protection-insulation of the air conditioning distribution networks in 100% of the Campus area – approximately 700m of pipes and air ducts) within the next year (2022).
- Total replacement of conventional light bulbs with energy efficient solutions by 2025. The continuous replacement in the last five years has already reduced the total consumption of the facilities at the Aghia Paraskevi campus by 10%.
- Integration of all College buildings in a Building Management System by 2025. 85% of our buildings have already been integrated.
Indicatively we refer the following actions
|Action||Estimated Energy Saving|
|Replacement of conventional lighting bulbs with LED in Deree Library||31%|
|Replacement of conventional lighting bulbs with LED in Deree Main Building||20%|
|Hybrid heating system installation (boiler & heat pumps) at pool, providing water & premises heating.||60% *|
* Average value between 2013-2015. It refers to LG fuel consumption.
** Average value between 2014-2015. It refers to LG fuel consumption
Inventory of ACG’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Click here for detailed info.
Use of 100% Clean, Green Electricity at ACG
As part of the ACG Energy strategy to minimize the carbon footprint, ACG’s electricity is supplied by We Energy, a company that provides 100% “green energy”. We Energy is the only provider in Greece that supplies the national electricity system with 100% “green energy” from clean, renewable sources of energy (solar and wind) and provides the corresponding official state and corporate certificates.
In proof of the above, our supplier is providing us with the relevant Guarantee of Origin (GO) issued by DAPEEP S.A. and “green sign”.
This action reduces our carbon footprint annually at least 85% based on 2019 calculated equivalent CO2 emissions. Additionally, ACG has taken the following steps towards energy efficiency:
- Installation of the air quality sensor/platform, Airly, which monitors and provides real-time data about the air quality on campus (2019). ACG is the first and only institution in Greece with such a device.
- Four electric and one hybrid vehicles for ACG transportation.
- Installation of electric car charging stations.
ACG Sustainable Events Guidelines
ACG is committed to adopting and continuously improving sustainability best practices. In this context, these guidelines aim at engaging event organizers into adhering to sustainable options with their audiences and partners.
Sustainable Event Certification Checklist