Fall Term | Classes Start: September 23, 2019
The MS in Data Science is a cutting-edge program that provides advanced knowledge and practical skills in the science of Big Data. You will learn to turn real-world data into insights, solutions, and tools that drive decision-making in organizations, and have the opportunity to pursue a Professional Certificate in Business Intelligence and Data Mining with SAS.
The MS in Data Science is an advanced program of study that prepares students for a professional career in Information Technology, particularly in handling big volumes of data, finding patterns in data, making predictions, and effectively visualising and communicating data, with the intent to facilitate organizational decision making. Students develop expertise in dealing with various types of data including business transaction data, text data, and images.
The program equips participants with a well-calibrated, theoretical, and practical synthesis of applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, and business information skills. The program allows students to pursue the professional pathway, suitable for immediate professional application, or the research pathway, suitable for advanced graduate study and research. Incorporates within the professional pathway is a Joint Professional Certificate in Business Intelligence and Data Mining offered in collaboration with SAS, a leading company in the field of analytics.
Click here to download the brochure
Student & Graduate Profile
The program is ideal for recent university or college graduates of information technology, engineering, economics, and science, or working professionals in IT who wish to advance their career in data science or big data. Students coming from different backgrounds, such as business or social sciences, are also encouraged to apply. The qualifications and experience provided by the program provide local and international employment prospects at a time when there is an increasing demand for Data Scientists worldwide. Graduates of the program can pursue careers in the field of Data Science such as: Business Data Analysist, Data Engineer, Data Scientist, and Big Data Engineer. Furthermore, they may be employed in companies specializing in information technologies, finance and insurance, retail trading, manufacturing, start-ups and more.
Students must successfully complete 12 graduate-level courses, representing a total of 36 US Credits. Students choose one of two pathways: the professional pathway that leads to a professional certificate by SAS, and project work with an organization; or the research pathway that is ideal for pursuing advanced graduate studies in universities or employment in research departments of large organizations.
- Introduction to Big Data
- Exploring and Analyzing Data
- Applied Machine Learning
- Data Visualization & Communication
- Semantic Web
- Big Data in Business
- Storing and Retrieving Data
- Search Engines and Web Mining
- Machine Vision in Data Science
- Natural Language Processing
Option 1: Professional Pathway
- SAS Platform for Business Analytics
- Capstone Project
Option 2: Research Pathway
- Advanced Machine Learning
Program Level Competencies
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the techniques for storing and processing big volumes of data, including transaction business data, text data, and images and to apply the relevant tools.
- Analyze the basic machine learning techniques and apply the relevant tools.
- Articulate business problems using data science techniques.
- Design a comprehensive data science solution and assess it both from a technical and a business perspective. 5. Successfully complete a research project in big data or in data science.
- Formulate ideas and arguments and communicate them effectively both in writing and orally in an academic or business context.
- Undertake programming at an advanced level: use advanced algorithms, practice distributed computing, use of no-SQL databases.
Click here to download the learning outcomes
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program can be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run Monday to Thursday. Only for Fall Term 2019 classes will run from 18:00-21:00; from Winter 2020 onwards, classes will run from 18:30-21:30. Fridays are reserved for make-up classes and other academic activities, such as master classes, workshops, lectures, talks, etc. New students are admitted at the start of the fall, winter, and spring terms. Completing the program in one year is possible only for students who begin their studies in the fall term.
Career Services & Placement Opportunities
Deree graduate students receive support from the Office of Career Services, which help them connect with the 50,000 ACG alumni around the globe, expand their professional network, and gain access to various job positions. Our graduate students and alumni may also benefit from the Alba Graduate Business School Services, including career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the Alba annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, and a direct mail list for job posts and career advice.
Admission to Program
The minimum graduate admission requirements are:
- A college or university degree in Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Economics, Business, or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language: TOEFL, IELTS, Proficiency, or GCE
- Basic programming and mathematical skills
- Motivation and/or relevant experience to specialize in this area: Evidence of strong motivation to work in the fields of data science or information technology will be sought in the interview and the personal statement submitted with the application form.
The admissions committee will consider students’ applications holding a BSc from other disciplines, but they may be required to take up to 3 undergraduate courses in Statistics, Mathematics, and Programming, as needed. The courses are assumed to be preparatory, therefore these credits will not contribute towards the master’s completion.
Tuition & Scholarships
Deree strives to provide opportunities to students regardless of their ability to finance their education. For this reason, we offer scholarships to all applicants who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance. A discount policy is also available for organization and ACG alumni.
Why Pursue an MS in Data Science at Deree
- Become equipped on various levels with the competencies needed to work in the fields of data science or big data.
- Accelerate your career prospects by choosing to study a master’s program that awards a Professional Certificate in Business Intelligence and Data Mining from SAS.
- Experience first-hand how data mining, big data processing, and visualization can be used to extract useful information at scale from raw data (business transaction, text, or image) and how to communicate it in a corporate environment.
- Obtain hands-on experience with advanced programming techniques, distributed processing platforms, and data mining libraries and tools.
- Engage with experienced faculty who possess significant research experience and who are committed to support you as you develop and advance your knowledge and relevant professional skills.
- Benefit from a flexible program that may be pursued full-time or part-time mode.
Contact our Office of Admissions
Tel.: +30 210 600 2208
E-mail: [email protected]