Open University validated as
BSc (Hons) in Shipping Management
Introduction to the Major in BSc in Shipping Management
The BSc (Hons) Shipping Management is intended for students interested in gaining comprehensive insight into shipping management and the shipping industry. The program offers students a solid foundation and in-depth understanding of the shipping sector. At the same time, it provides students with a set of skills and tools that will enable them to adapt quickly and to thrive in any environment. Given the highly competitive and complex nature of the shipping industry, it is essential for prospective maritime professionals to have the necessary knowledge and expertise that will distinguish them from others working in the industry. In this context, the program in Shipping Management combines academic knowledge with market practices, preparing students for a prominent career in this challenging industry.
What You Will Study
Deree students can complete a dual degree, that is, a Deree US degree together with an Open University validated award (a UK degree), in just four years. Students begin their studies (first year) by selecting amongst liberal education courses. In subsequent years they attend courses of their major.
The structure of the curriculum progressively introduces students to various aspects of shipping management and the shipping industry. Initially, students gain knowledge in general management principles and practices, financial accounting, statistics, and the legal environment of business, as well as an introduction to the field of shipping and its key concepts, maritime operations and ship technology, maritime history, and an introduction to logistics and the supply chain. This helps students to develop their critical thinking skills and solve shipping-related problems more effectively as they progress in their studies. In the next stage, the program offers a thorough understanding of managing people and organizations, business research methods, corporate finance, maritime economics, international shipping policy, transportation systems, port administration and logistics, and information technology related to the shipping industry. The main concepts revolve around shipping, providing a broad perspective of the entire industry, and allowing students to continue to develop their skills and critical understanding of the shipping sector. Students continue with in-depth knowledge in areas such as shipping and marine insurance law and practice, ship broking and chartering, maritime financial management, strategic management, and carriage of goods by sea and the law of international trade. Also, students may choose from a variety of carefully designed option courses, each specializing in a particular area of shipping, such as short sea shipping, cruise shipping, cross cultural management in shipping and maritime human resource management, or in related areas such as supply chain management, project management, negotiations, and operations management.
- Gain knowledge and skills that are applicable to a wide variety of careers in shipping management and in related areas
- Receive sound preparation for graduate studies in shipping management, or in a related field, leading to a master’s degree or higher
- Focus on shipping management where the shipping industry is one of the main pillars of the Greek economy
- Benefit from Deree’s historically strong ties to the shipping industry
- Study exclusively in English and prepare for the international job market
- Capitalize on the status of the Deree School of Business as a pioneer in business education in Greece
- Develop a professional network utilizing Deree’s strong reputation in the job market, where employability of Deree graduates is very high
- Enjoy an education that is strengthened by the Liberal Education program common to all Schools at Deree
- Experience a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Access Deree’s John S. Bailey Library, one of the most modern and technologically advanced libraries in Greece
- Study on a suburban campus that is unique in Greece in terms of its facilities, organization and physical beauty
Take advantage of study abroad and international internship opportunities
Career/Graduate Study Opportunities
Capitalizing on the strong academic background that the curriculum offers, our graduates are well prepared to enter and successfully complete postgraduate programs in shipping and in related areas.
Alternatively, our graduates may decide to enter the workforce and may be employed in shipping companies or in related businesses and other organizations. Students may pursue careers, for example in:
- various departments in ship owning or ship management companies
- ship broking firms, as chartering or sale and purchase brokers
- commodity trading firms
- consulting firms as shipping consultants
- crewing companies
- port administration as port agents
- marine insurance companies and P & I Clubs
- shipping finance
- maritime organizations