ACG is committed to leading by example, not only in research and education, but also in managing its facilities and resources. Your contribution to the implementation of our sustainability goals is vital.
The ACG Pledge identifies several actions & behaviors that can help you become more environmentally, socially and economically responsible in your daily life, on and off campus.
Why is it important to you?
- You demonstrate your responsibility, accountability, leadership, integrity and forward thinking.
- You join the global effort of all those who have decided to respect, protect, and preserve natural resources for future generations.
- You recognize the long-term consequences of your actions.
Take the pledge!
I do commit to the following actions:
Energy use reduction
- Turn off all electronics and appliances when not in use.
- Turn off lights when I do not need them.
- Use windows and shading to control room temperature and ventilation when applicable. Use the same means to increase/reduce natural light.
- Keep windows closed when the air-conditioning (A/C) in full is on.
Water use reduction
- Use the least amount of water in every activity.
- Report any detected leaks at campus facilities to technical services and outside ones to the appropriate authority.
Waste reduction and processing
- Avoid buying new items. Choose pre-loved ones instead, which you can find at the [email protected] community exchange platform.
- Donate items instead of throwing away. Place them at the [email protected] platform and help find them a new home.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, aluminum and steel products, glass bottles, batteries and electronics and place them in the designated bins when applicable, both on campus and outside of it.
- Think before you print.
- Reuse before recycle.
- Buy recycled and second-hand products.
- Consider repairing products instead of buying new ones.
Single-Use Plastic Reduction
- Bring your own reusable water bottle, mug and cutlery. On campus you can order at Dipnosofistirion and Starbucks and use your own containers!
- Refuse the straw or bring your own reusable one.
- Reduce the amount of take-away food you order.
- Order the half-portion at Dipnosofistirion if you usually do not eat the full one.
- Participate in the ACG Farmers’ Market volunteer initiative on Mondays and save food from the landfill.
- Plan ahead for the meals of the week and make a grocery list.
- Eat leftovers.
- Practice FIFO – First In, First Out in your fridge, freezer and pantry.
Ecological footprint minimization
- Buy foods & products produced locally. Support organically grown produce.
- Minimize my transport footprint: Walk, bike, use public transportation and carpooling.
- Participate in one at least tree planting activity wherever this takes place.
- Promote and support devices which use renewable energy sources (such as utility lights, flashlights, chargers etc.) .
- Eat more plant-based meals.
Social and economic responsibility advancement
- Buy goods manufactured under fair trade conditions.
- Encourage equity in all forms and for all needs.
- Participate in the ACG Community Service Day twice a year and other community contribution and social impact activities.
- Learn as much as possible about sustainability and transfer the knowledge to others.
- Be kind.