- BSc (Hons) in Marketing
Validated by The Open University, UK
Introduction to the Major in Marketing
The BSc (Hons) in Marketing is a stand-alone degree. Marketing as a discipline is a vital and indispensable business activity for all types of organizations. The Marketing degree allows students to understand consumer needs, the design and delivery of goods and services, and the most effective means of informing consumers of their availability in harnessing offline and online/digital activities. In that respect, the program aims to fulfill the demand for graduates equipped to cope with contemporary marketing issues and opportunities as employees or business owners, in both local and international contexts. The program seeks to connect theory to practice and to provide students the opportunity to gain as much hands-on experience as possible.
Why study Marketing at Deree
The program introduces students to both the theoretical and academic elements of the study of Marketing, and the professional ethos of work required in international organizations and elsewhere. The academic orientation of the program is achieved through the examination of the relevant theoretical and conceptual frameworks of the field.
Deree was the first educational institution in Greece to offer a business degree with a concentration in Marketing. Thanks to this long tradition, Deree has gained extensive experience in the area. The advantages of studying Marketing at Deree can be summarized as follows:
- A strong academic orientation. Throughout the curriculum, the programme equips students with academic qualities and skills, and the ability to understand and conduct research.
- An integrative and multidisciplinary approach to the study of Marketing. The program integrates various disciplines in the study of relevant business functions, including accounting and finance, information technology, marketing, and management principles along with the General Education courses.
- An inherent international orientation. Deree collaborates with several organizations in Greece (Athens), to which it sends students for internships to acquire hands-on experience. In addition, the Marketing curriculum is informed from an international perspective, drawing on developments in the field of international organizations and international educational benchmarks (US and UK). Moreover, Marketing students will be exposed to interesting seminars and fruitful discussions organized at departmental, school, and all college level. Furthermore, Marketing faculty have received formal education and/or taught in universities in the US, the UK and across Europe.
- An up-to-date curriculum meeting high-quality academic standards through adherence to the benchmarks of two highly prestigious accrediting bodies, NECHE in the USA and the Open University in the UK. Following the examination of a wide variety of courses in Liberal Education and the relevant business functions, students build up a strong academic marketing background through the study of Marketing courses. Moreover, students can choose electives from several courses examining the application of marketing principles and concepts in different contexts. Several of the above courses involved work on client projects (real or simulated).
Career Paths/Graduate study opportunities
Marketing is one of the broadest fields of study in business, offering graduates a large variety of interesting and challenging career opportunities and graduate study opportunities, including:
- Marketing Manager
- Brand/Product Manager
- New Product Development Manager
- Packaging Manager
- Distribution Manager
- Retail Merchandising Manager
- Customer experience specialist
- Market Researcher / Insights professional
- Advertising Account Executive
- Media Planner
- Media Sales Manager
- Purchasing Agent
- Sales Manager
- Sales Representative
- Online Account Executive
- Online Sales Manager
- Non-profit Fund Raiser
- Insurance Agent
- Real Estate Agent
- Event Coordinator and Publication Specialist
- Consumer Insights Manager
- Social Media Specialist
- Usability specialist
- Marketing Consultant
“There is only one winning strategy. It is to carefully define the target market and direct a superior offering to that target market.”
programs of study in: