Fall Term | Classes Start: September 23, 2019
In a world of growing media and new technologies, the role of communication specialists is rapidly expanding. The MA in Strategic Communication and Public Relations is a professional degree program designed to help prepare the next generation of professionals to successfully meet the increasing local and global demands for communication expertise. The program reflects the latest developments in the field, while maintaining the curricular and educational standards of top American and European graduate programs. By integrating theory with practice and focusing on a real-world approach, students are trained for a variety of positions in private, public, and non-profit settings.
Click here to download the brochure
Student & Graduate Profile
The program is appropriate for graduates and practitioners from all disciplines and backgrounds. Graduates may be employed in a wide range of professional fields and industries including public relations, advertising, consulting, broadcasting, lobbying, event planning, fund raising, campaign management, and corporate affairs, as well as communication careers in the special fields of tourism, entertainment, and politics. Graduates of the program are well prepared to pursue a higher academic degree in communication.
Students must successfully complete 11 graduate-level courses, representing a total of 33 US credits.
Required Communication Courses
- Media and Communication Theory
- Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
- Applied Communication Research Methods
- Quantitative Research in Communication
Required Public Relations Courses
- Public Relations Strategy
- Crisis Communication Management
- Public Relations and the New Media
Elective Courses (3 from the list)
- Political Communication
- Communication for the Tourism Industry
- Strategic Corporate Communication
- Communication for the Entertainment Industry
- Intercultural Communication and International PR
- Effective Communication Skills
- Multimedia Applications for Communication Campaigns
- PR for Public and Non-profit Organizations
Students may also select one elective from any of the other graduate communication programs upon approval of the graduate program coordinator.
*Electives are offered on a rotating basis during the academic year.
Capstone or Thesis option
- Capstone Project in Communication
- Thesis in Communication
Program Level Competencies
Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to demonstrate the following program competencies:
- Apply key communication theories and concepts to public relations practice in multiple industries and contexts.
- Demonstrate strategic level analysis and critical thinking in designing communication programs to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans for a wide range of organizations and industries while applying effective problem solving processes and innovative thinking in both local and global contexts.
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the communications profession.
- Apply appropriate digital technologies in communication program design and implementation to reach and engage relevant audiences.
- Produce creative and innovative public relations content suitable for a variety of audiences and in a variety of media forms.
- Communicate effectively and deliver professional presentations in oral, written, digital or combined formats.
Click here to download the learning outcomes
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program may be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run Monday to Thursday. Only for Fall Term 2019 classes will run from 18:00-21:00; from Winter 2020 onwards, classes will run from 18:30-21:30. New students are admitted at the start of the fall, winter and spring terms.
Career Services & Placement Opportunities
Deree graduate students receive support from the Office of Career Services, which help them connect with the 50,000 ACG alumni around the globe, expand their professional network, and gain access to various job positions. Our graduate students and alumni may also benefit from the Alba Graduate Business School Services, including career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the Alba annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, and a direct mail list for job posts and career advice.
Admission to Program
Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- Competence to undertake graduate work: a College or University degree.
- Evidence of Proficiency in the English language: TOEFL, IELTS, Proficiency, or CGE.
- Motivation and/or relevant experience to specialize in this area: Evidence of strong motivation to work in communication related areas will be sought in the interview and the personal statement submitted with the application form.
Tuition & Scholarships
Deree strives to provide opportunities to students regardless of their ability to finance their education. For this reason, we offer scholarships to all applicants who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance. A discount policy is also available for organizations and ACG alumni.
Why pursue an MA in Stategic Communication and Public Relations at Deree
- Get expert training in writing and interpersonal communication skills as well as exposure to fundamental digital and social media tools.
- Opt to pursue a second professional qualification: Become a specialist in Crisis Communication obtaining the internationally recognized CIPR Specialist Diploma in Crisis Communication offered in collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (UK).
- Learn from best practices: through special workshops, field trips to leading PR agencies and the graduate PR practicum you will enrich your educational experience learning from top PR practitioners in the field.
- Build your career on solid foundations with the support of acclaimed faculty members, who combine practical experience with academic preparation in helping students become skilled communication experts as well as successful PR counsellors and strategists.
Contact our Office of Admissions
Tel.: +30 210 600 2208
E-mail: [email protected]