Fall Term | Classes Start: September 25, 2017
In a world of growing media and new technologies, the role of communication specialists is rapidly expanding. The MA in Strategic Communication and Public Relations is a professional degree program designed to help prepare the next generation of professionals to successfully meet the increasing local and global demands for communication expertise. The program reflects the latest developments in the field, while maintaining the curricular and educational standards of top American and European graduate programs. By integrating theory with practice and focusing on a real-world approach, students are trained for a variety of positions in private, public, and non-profit settings.
Click here to download the brochure
Student & Graduate Profile
The program is appropriate for graduates and practitioners from all disciplines and backgrounds. Graduates may be employed in a wide range of professional fields and industries including public relations, advertising, consulting, broadcasting, lobbying, event planning, fund raising, campaign management, and corporate affairs, as well as communication careers in the special fields of tourism, entertainment, and politics. Graduates of the program are well prepared to pursue a higher academic degree in communication.
Students must successfully complete 11 graduate-level courses, representing a total of 33 US credits.
Required Communication Courses
- Media and Communication Theory
- Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
- Applied Communication Research Methods
- Quantitative Research in Communication
Required Public Relations Courses
- Public Relations Strategy
- Crisis Communication Management
- Public Relations and the New Media
Elective Courses (3 from the list)
- Political Communication
- Communication for the Tourism Industry
- Strategic Corporate Communication
- Communication for the Entertainment Industry
- Intercultural Communication and International PR
- Effective Communication Skills
- Multimedia Applications for Communication Campaigns
- PR for Public and Non-profit Organizations
Capstone or Thesis option
- Capstone Project in Communication
- Thesis in Communication
Program Level Competencies
Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to demonstrate the following program competencies:
- Apply key communication theories and concepts to public relations practice in multiple industries and contexts.
- Demonstrate strategic level analysis and critical thinking in designing communication programs to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic communication plans for a wide range of organizations and industries while applying effective problem solving processes and innovative thinking in both local and global contexts.
- Conduct research and evaluate information by methods appropriate to the communications profession.
- Apply appropriate digital technologies in communication program design and implementation to reach and engage relevant audiences.
- Produce creative and innovative public relations content suitable for a variety of audiences and in a variety of media forms.
- Communicate effectively and deliver professional presentations in oral, written, digital or combined formats.
Click here to download the learning outcomes
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program may be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run Mondays to Thursdays, 18:00-21:00. New students are admitted at the start of the fall, winter and spring terms.
Career Services & Placement Opportunities
Deree graduate communication students and alumni benefit from the Alba Graduate Business School Services which include career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the Alba annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, direct mail list for job posts and career advice. Also, Deree graduate students receive further support from the Deree Office of Career Services, which helps them expand their professional network and gain access to an international database of job positions and career opportunities.
Admission to Program
Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- Competence to undertake graduate work: a College or University degree.
- Evidence of Proficiency in the English language: TOEFL, IELTS, Proficiency, or CGE.
- Motivation and/or relevant experience to specialize in this area: Evidence of strong motivation to work in communication related areas will be sought in the interview and the personal statement submitted with the application form.
Tuition & Scholarships
Deree strives to provide opportunities to students regardless of their ability to finance their education. For this reason, we offer scholarships to all applicants who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance. A discount policy is also available for organizations and ACG alumni.
Why pursue an MA in Stategic Communication and Public Relations at Deree
- Develop a variety of communication skills which can be readily transferred to the real world.
- Get expert training in writing and interpersonal communication skills as well as exposure to fundamental digital and social media tools.
- Learn from the best: Through our educational partnership with Weber Shandwick (McCann Worldgroup), an American-based leading global PR firm, you will enhance your practical training with the latest and most innovative practices in the field of strategic communication and public relations and you will benefit from workshops conducted by PR professionals, internships and networking opportunities. The Graduate PR Practicum together with field trips, and participation in actual client briefs will offer you the opportunity to enrich your educational experience and develop problem solving approaches.
- Build your career on solid foundations with the support of acclaimed faculty members who combine practical experience with academic preparation in helping students become skilled communication experts as well as successful PR counselors and strategists.
Contact our Office of Admissions
Tel.: +30 210 600 2208