“We are grateful to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation for this generous grant that will allow us to serve larger numbers of talented and deserving Parallel Study students who seek exposure to a US-modeled education and all the benefits that come with it.”
Dr. David G. Horner, President of The American College of Greece
Program Description (show)
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation is a world-leading international philanthropic organization dedicated to funding institutions and projects that are expected to achieve a broad, lasting and positive impact on society at large. Starting this fall, The American College of Greece is honored to receive the Foundation’s support in the form of a donation that establishes a scholarship program for Parallel Studies at Deree. The donation to Deree is part of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation’s “Recharging the Youth” initiative, which aims to help create new opportunities for Greece’s younger generations. The Parallel Studies Program at Deree offers outstanding students the opportunity to enroll for a minor (i.e. a series of US-accredited and EU-validated courses – typically 6-7 – in a specific discipline), while concurrently pursuing a Greek public University degree. With the SNF donation, this successful program will be expanded and enhanced resulting in more students broadening their educational experience and equipping themselves with tools to launch meaningful careers.
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship Program at The American College of Greece will be funded over the next four academic years (2014-2018). For the academic year 2015-2016 it will offer 35 scholarships to support talented students already enrolled at Greek public Universities, jointly with The American College of Greece, by covering a significant percentage of their Deree tuition.
Benefits of Becoming an SNF Scholar at Deree (show)
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship Program offers scholars unique academic opportunities and access to a wide range of career enhancing options:
- Exposure to a US-modeled education system (e.g. active classroom engagement, case studies, group and research projects, state-of-the-art academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular programs and facilities)
- Enhanced proficiency in English (all classes taught in English)
- Access to faculty expertise, collaborative research and mentorship
- Cross cultural opportunities:
- Two-way study abroad: foreign university students are “exchanged” with Greek students
- Simultaneous “real time” classes: foreign university students and Greek students experience the same class via distance technology
- International internships: Greek students gain professional experience for several months in a multi-national company in another part of the world
- Career services:
- Résumé consulting, interview, graduate school and career path coaching
- Participation in career fairs and business focused events; access to full time/ part time jobs and internships through Career Services’ online platforms and social media
- Access to a network of more than 37,000 successful alumni around the world
Scholarship Requirements (show)
In order to be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- be currently enrolled at a Greek public University
- have completed at least two semesters at a Greek public University with an academic average of 7.5/10 (or 7/10 for the National Technical University of Athens)
- have a high school diploma grade of 17/20 and above
Candidates for the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship Program will also be eligible for an ACG merit scholarship, ranging from 25% to 50% tuition reduction depending on the candidate’s high school diploma grade.
In order to maintain the scholarship, the scholar must:
- achieve and maintain a minimum College Cumulative Index (CI) of no less than 3.00/4.00 at Deree
- enroll in consecutive semesters until the completion of his/her studies
- embrace employment and international study opportunities (attend a presentation on Study Abroad and International Internships, explore Work Study and Internship opportunities, attend individual career preparation sessions)
Tuition Cost Analysis Example (show)
STAVROS NIARCHOS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
2014-2015 TUITION ANALYSIS FOR A MINOR CERTIFICATE
|6 COURSES (18 credits)
2 Fall, 2 Spring, 2 Summer
|Tuition||€ 5,880||€ 5,880||€ 5,880|
|ACG Merit Scholarship (25%, 35%, 50%) &
Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship (€1400)
|€ 2,870||€ 3,458||€ 4,340|
|Total Cost||€ 3,010||€ 2,422||€ 1,540|
Admission Process (show)
Applicants can apply for a “minor” (i.e. a series of courses – typically 6-7 – in a specific discipline) leading to a certificate in one of 35 academic areas.
The following is required for all applicants:
- A completed application form (Minor’s Application Form).
- A personal written statement explaining the reasons why the candidate is applying for the SNF scholarship and how the candidate expects to improve his/her employability by participating in the SNF Scholarship Program.
- An official secondary school transcript and an official copy of a secondary diploma.
- A Greek public University transcript.
- A certified copy of the identity card (for Greek citizens), or a valid passport (for non-Greek citizens).
- An interview with an admissions counselor.
- Evidence of proficiency in English.
Applications for admission are accepted throughout the year. Recommended deadlines for the SNF Program for 2015-16 are as follows:
Fall Semester: September 9, 2015
Fall Intensive Program: October 7, 2015
Spring Semester: January 13, 2016
Summer Session I: May 19, 2016
Summer Session II: June 24, 2016
The Admissions Counselor will guide the candidate through the admission and registration process, after which the student will be assigned an Academic Advisor who will monitor academic progress and assist in the selection of courses. Upon admission to the College and in order to enroll, the candidate must attend an academic advising session to select courses, submit a deposit and register for the selected courses.
Please note that the Stavros Niarchos Foundation is not involved with the application and selection process.
To learn more about the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Scholarship Program, please complete the information request form.