Fall Term | Classes Start: September 25, 2017
The digital and social media revolution has dramatically changed the way we learn, exchange information, communicate, consume, play, and work. For years, we have been witnessing the transition from an analog to a digital society, and the expansion of digital and internet media into all areas of our lives. As the industry rapidly grows, there is increasing demand for digital media specialists, people who are skilled in digital communication and media. The MA in Digital Communication and Social Media is designed to meet this growing need in the market. It is a specialist graduate program for students who aspire to plan, design, implement, and evaluate digital communication and social media strategies in private, public, and non-profit settings. With a cutting-edge and interdisciplinary curriculum, the program prepares students to successfully navigate and shape the digital and social media landscape, and to enter the new generation of knowledgeable and competent communication practitioners.
Click here to download the brochure
Student & Graduate Profile
The MA in Digital Communication & Social Media is designed for recent graduates from all disciplines, as well as for working professionals from a broad cross-section: educators, lawyers, entrepreneurs, consultants, and community/NGO managers. The program also welcomes communication professionals who wish to enhance their educational qualifications and their career opportunities. Τhe aim is to recruit a qualified and diverse group of students, ensuring a quality and collaborative learning experience for everyone involved in the program. Given that digital media includes so many different areas of training, graduates of this program may pursue careers in communication and marketing departments, digital marketing, social media and advertising agencies, as well as in consulting and digital start-ups across sectors (private, public, non-profit, small business, services, or self-employed). Indicative careers include: Social Media/Digital Communication Manager, Brand/Digital Marketing Manager, New Media Publishing, Blogger/Social Media Copywriter, Media Relations Representative, Online Community Engagement Manager, Social Media Specialist/Consultant. Program graduates will also be able to engage in research or continue on to doctoral programs.
Students must successfully complete 11 graduate-level courses, representing a total of 33 US credits as described in the table below.
Required Communication Courses
- Applied Communication Theory
- Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
- Applied Communication Research Methods
- Quantitative Research in Communication
Required Digital & Social Media Communication Courses
- Digital Media and Computer Mediated Communication
- Strategy, Planning & Design of Digital & Social Media Campaigns
- Production Lab I: Web Design and Development
Elective Courses (3 from the list)
- Digital Media Production
- Digital and Social Analytics
- Content Strategy
- Social Networks Behavior
- Brands and Digital Branding
- Production Lab II: Advanced Web Development with Content Management Systems
- UX – User Experience & Responsive Design
Capstone Project or Thesis
The Digital Start-Up Challenge or Thesis in Communication
Program Level Competencies
The program provides an integrated study of fundamental communication theory, as well as practical skills in crafting and delivering content through digital and social platforms. Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theoretical frameworks and practical methods for engaging and communicating with audiences through digital and social media.
- Analyze and appraise the context and implications of the Internet and social media for online collaboration, interactivity, information sharing, e-commerce, and networking.
- Develop and assess the effectiveness of digital and social media communication strategies.
- Use appropriate methods and tools to generate and evaluate digital content.
- Select and apply current technologies in digital communication program design and evaluation.
- Use appropriate methodologies to develop and implement clear research plans.
- Effectively communicate ideas and arguments in written/ digital formats, orally, and in formal presentations.
Click here to download the learning outcomes
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program may be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run Monday to Thursday, 18:00-21:00. Fridays are reserved for make-up classes and other academic activities, such as master classes, workshops, lectures, talks, etc. New students are admitted at the start of the fall and spring terms.
Career Services & Placement Opportunities
Deree graduate communication students and alumni also benefit from the Alba Graduate Business School Services which include: career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the Alba annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, and a direct mail list for job posts and career advice. Deree graduate students receive further support from the Deree Office of Career Services, which will help them connect with the 50,000 ACG alumni around the globe, expand their professional network, and gain access to various job positions.
Admission to Program
Applicants should demonstrate:
- Competence to undertake graduate work: A college or university degree.
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language: TOEFL, IELTS, Proficiency, or GCE.
- Motivation and/or relevant experience to specialize in this area: Evidence of strong motivation to work in communication related areas will be sought in the interview and the personal statement submitted with the application form.
Tuition & Scholarships
Deree strives to provide opportunities to students regardless of their ability to finance their education. For this reason, we offer scholarships to all applicants who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance. A discount policy is also available for organizations and ACG alumni.
Why pursue an MA in Digital Communication and Social Media at Deree
- Gain a systematic understanding of communication theory spanning traditional and digital media, and develop critical awareness of current digital and social media issues, methodologies and solutions that affect the communication field.
- Learn how to apply communication knowledge to a range of digital and social media platforms, taking into account the wider technological, ethical, and legal aspects of the environment in which organizations operate.
- Master the skills and knowledge that will empower you to act independently as a digital and social media professional.
- Benefit from the collaborations with leading digital communication companies to create a professional-level portfolio.
- Take a hands-on educational trip abroad, visiting centers of educational excellence and technological innovation, top universities, and leading digital communication, media and marketing agencies.
Contact our Office of Admissions
Tel.: +30 210 600 2208