Master of Arts (MA) in Digital Communication & Social Media
Digital and social media have radically transformed the way people communicate and do business. It has become imperative for the next generation of communication professionals to master skills in developing and distributing compelling content on social media. The MA in Digital Communication & Social Media degree is a specialist graduate program for students who aspire to plan, design, implement and evaluate digital communication and social media strategies in private, public and non-profit settings. The program provides an integrated study of fundamental communication theory as well as practical skills in crafting and delivering content through digital and social platforms.
The main aims of the program are for students to develop:
- A systematic understanding of communication theory spanning traditional and digital media.
- The ability to apply communication knowledge to a range of digital and social media platforms, taking into account the wider technological, ethical and legal aspects of the environment in which organizations operate.
- A critical awareness of current digital and social media issues, methodologies and solutions that affect communication practice in the field.
- A sufficient awareness of communication methods, skills and knowledge that will enable students to act independently as digital and social media professionals.
Click here to download the brochure
Student & Graduate Profile
The MA in Digital Communication & Social Media is designed for recent graduates from all disciplines as well as for working professionals from a broad cross-section, educators, lawyers, entrepreneurs, consultants, and community/NGOs managers. The program prepares graduates for career opportunities in communication and marketing departments, digital marketing, social media and advertising agencies, as well as in consulting and digital start-ups across sectors. Indicative careers include:
- Social Media/Digital Communication Manager
- Brand/ Digital Marketing Manager
- Blogger/ Social Media Copywriter
- Media Relations Representative
- Online Community Engagement Manager
- Social Media Specialist/Consultant
Flexible Study & Course Duration
The program may be completed in one year (full-time) or up to three years (part-time). Classes run during weekdays, Mondays to Thursdays from 18:00-21:00. New students are admitted at the start of the Fall and Spring Terms.
Program Level Competencies
Upon successful completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theoretical frameworks and practical methods for engaging and communicating with audiences through digital and social media.
- Analyze and appraise the context and implications of the internet and social media for online collaboration, interactivity, information sharing, e-commerce, and networking.
- Develop and assess the effectiveness of digital and social media communication strategies.
- Generate and evaluate digital content using appropriate method and tools.
- Select and apply current technologies in digital communication program design and evaluation.
- Develop and implement clear research plans, using appropriate methodologies.
- Communicate ideas and arguments effectively, in written/digital formats, orally and through formal presentations.
Click here to download the learning outcomes
Students must successfully complete 10 graduate level courses, representing a total of 30 US credits as described below.
Communication Courses :
|• Applied Communication Theory
• Advanced Media Writing and Techniques
• Applied Communication Research Methods
|Required Digital & Social Media Communication Courses:||• Digital Media and Computer Mediated Communication
• Strategy, Planning & Design of Digital & Social Media
Campaigns Production Lab I: Web Design and Development
(3 from the list):
|• Digital and Social Analytics
• Content Strategy
• Social Networks Behavior
• Production Lab II: Advanced Web Development
with Content Management Systems
• Brands and Digital Branding
• UX – User Experience & Responsive Design
|Capstone Project or Thesis||• Capstone Project: The Digital Start-Up Challenge or
• Thesis in Communication
Career Services: ALBA Graduate Business School at the American College of Greece
DEREE graduate communication students and alumni benefit both from the ALBA Graduate Business School Services which include: career coaching, participation in career events and workshops, participation in the ALBA annual career forum, one-to-one career advice sessions, direct mail list for job posts and career advice. Also, DEREE graduate students receive further support from the DEREE Office of Career Services, which has placed thousands of DEREE graduates since 1976.
Tuition & Scholarships
DEREE – The American College of Greece aims to attract the highest quality graduate applicants regardless of their ability to finance their education. For this reason we offer scholarships covering a portion of the cost of tuition to all applicants who have demonstrated exceptional academic performance. A discount policy is also in effect for organizations and ACG alumni. For more information on eligibility contact our office of admissions or visit: http://www.acg.edu/graduate/graduate-financial-assistance.
Admission to the Program
Applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- Competence to undertake graduate work: a College or University degree.
- Evidence of Proficiency in the English language: TOEFL, IELTS, Proficiency, or GCE
- Motivation and or Relevant experience to specialize in this area: Evidence of strong motivation to work in communication related areas will be sought in the interview and the personal statement submitted with the application form.
Contact our Office of Admissions
Tel.: +30 210 600 2208