CES is a collaborative initiative that brings together education, research and operations to advance sustainability on campus and beyond. Officially established in the fall of 2011, CES aims to:
- Promote environmental awareness, education for sustainable development and sustainability research on campus;
- Bridge educational activities and sustainable operations initiatives on campus while promoting experiential learning;
- Facilitate collaboration between disciplines, faculty, staff and students;
- Connect with other social actors in the wider community, i.e., the local municipality or select NGOs, increasing ACG’s social impact.
The director of the Center of Excellence for Sustainability is Dr. Dr. Michael T. Valahas, Adjunct Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Science and Mathematics
As of January 2015, the Center of Excellence for Sustainability operates under the Office of Public Affairs.
Committee for Sustainable Development (CSD)
Established in January 2015, CSD aims at coordinating and monitoring strategic decisions and plans related to ACG sustainable development practices. The committee which meets on a regular basis, comprises of representatives of all three ACG divisions. Fellow faculty, administration or staff members and students are used as resource persons at select meetings, as needed.
The regular members of the CSD are:
- Claudia Carydis, VP Public Affairs, chair
- Iliana Lazana, VP for Human Resources and Campus Services,
- Stella Mariou, Quality & Accreditations Director – ALBA at ACG,
- Michael T. Valahas, Director, Center of Excellence for Sustainability & Adjunct Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Science and Mathematics
- Rania Assariotaki, Sustainability Manager, Office of Public Affairs