In 2011, the unequivocal commitment of ACG to sustainable development was manifested through the establishment of the Center of Excellence for Sustainability. The mission of the Center of Excellence for Sustainability (CES) is to create a culture of sustainability on campus and to make the College a sustainable learning community.
The Center aims to:
- scientifically support and coordinate sustainability initiatives on campus;
- build bridges between educational activities on the one hand and sustainable operation initiatives on campus on the other, promoting experiential learning;
- facilitate collaboration between disciplines and between faculty, staff and students;
- promote environmental awareness on campus; promote sustainability research;
- connect and collaborate with other social actors – universities, local community, Non-Governmental Organizations, etc. – in order to promote sustainable practices.
Through integrated approaches and the acknowledgement of the interdependence of the different parts of the campus activity, the Center supports the College to “operate as a fully integrated community that models social and biological sustainability itself and in its interdependence with the local, regional and global community.”